How to Get Rid of Little Black Ants (3 Easy Steps)
How to Kill Black Ants
It doesn't take little black ants long to locate food once you set it down. You might leave a bowl of fruit out overnight only to discover it's covered with ants in the morning. Once you identify the problem, you can kill the ants with spray or bait, use household items to repel them and take measures to keep them from returning. See Step 1 to learn how.
Using Bait and Sprays
Buy commercial ant bait.Using a commercial bait is a very effective way to kill black ants. Ants are attracted to the bait, which is a mixture of poison and a sweet substance. The ants eat some bait and bring some back to the nest, where the rest of the colony is also exposed to the poison. Over the course of one or two life cycles, the ants will be destroyed.
- If you decide to use bait, be sure you take the precaution of making sure that there are no children or pets in the area.
- Commercial ant bait is available in hardware stores for about per box.
Place the bait traps in the affected areas.Follow the instructions on the packaging to get the bait traps ready, then place them on your countertops, in corners and in any other areas where you frequently see ants gather. If possible, place a trap in front of an ant trail.
- Different types of bait traps require different preparation. Some traps require you to place a few drops of bait on pieces of cardboard, then place the cardboard around your house. Other traps simply require peeling back a plastic wrapper and setting out the traps.
Wait a few days for the traps to work.Bait traps take a little longer to work than spraying and other methods of killing ants, but they are ultimately much more effective. Over the course of a few days, the ants will carry the bait back to their nest and poison the rest of the colony. In the meantime, make sure your house is clean of other food sources so that the ants eat the bait, not crumbs or sticky spots in your kitchen.
Try spraying with a pesticide.If you want to make doubly sure the ants are gone for good, you can spray a pesticide as well. Purchase a store formula, mix up the contents based on the instructions, place the solution in a sprayer and spray the infested rooms. You may also apply the solution to the perimeter of your home to keep ants from coming inside.
- Make sure that children and pets stay away from the sprayed areas, since they can become ill if they ingest the chemicals.
- You can also purchase an aerosol spray to apply directly on the black ants. These are usually indoor formulas that work well in areas like your kitchen. Apply the spray anywhere you see ants, and any cracks and/or crevices that you see them crawl into.
- This method usually leads to immediate death so sweep up any dead ants and dispose of them properly. If you spray in an area that children or pets may be in, be sure to adequately wipe down and clean the area so no one gets sick from the spray.
Repelling them With Natural Methods
Use diatomaceous earth.This substance is completely natural and safe for use around humans and pets, but it kills ants and other crawling critters. It's composed of ground up fossil pieces that cut into insects' exoskeletons when they walk over it. Sprinkle diatomaceous earth in corners, under the sink, in windowsills, and anywhere else you often see ants.
- Every week or two, vacuum up the diatomaceous earth and replace it with fresh powder.
- This substance doesn't work as well in humid areas, since it loses its sharpness when it becomes wet.
Use baking soda to clean carpets.If you have a lot of black ants on your carpeting, cover it in a fine layer of baking soda, let it sit for a few hours, then vacuum it up. You can also apply cornstarch to a surface and vacuum it up immediately before you try to vacuum up the black ants. The added cornstarch in the vacuum will suffocate the animal.
Try an essential oil spray.Certain natural sprays act as insect repellents. You can easily make your own by adding 10 drops of essential oil to a cup of water, then pouring it into a spray bottle. Spray the mixture all over your house to keep ants away. Here are a few essential oils to try:
- Eucalyptus oil (don't use this one if you have a cat)
- Tea tree oil
Use boric acid.You might already have a box in your laundry room. This household substance doubles as a very effective insecticide. Simply sprinkle boric acid in corner and around room perimeters. Ants and other critters will die after crawling over the powder.
Try cinnamon powder.If you don't have any other repellent on hand, try sprinkling some cinnamon in the room where the ants are gathering. Ants are repelled by the fine powder and strong smell. While sprinkling cinnamon won't kill the ants, it might keep them from coming back.
Keeping Ants Away
Keep your floors and countertops clean.Regularly sweep, mop and vacuum your floors to get rid of all the tiny crumbs that tend to collect there. After each meal, wipe down your table and countertops to remove all remnants of food. Ants are attracted to even the tiniest of spills, so make sure to clean up after yourself regularly to keep them from coming in.
Keep food stored away.It's important not to leave food out for more than a little while - otherwise, the ants will sense that it's there and come to get it. If you have an ant problem, you might have to take extra measures to make sure your food is packaged tightly. The following foods should never be left out where the ants can access them:
- Maple syrup
- Cracker crumbs
- Fruit with thin skin, like strawberries
Seal your doors and windows.Is it easy for ants to walk right into your house? You might want to look into sealing your doors and windows so that the ants won't be able to come inside. Use caulk and door seals to take care of the crack under your door and along the sides of your windows. Examine your house from the outside, too, to determine if there are any holes or cracks where they might be coming in.
QuestionAnts are all over my carpets and are coming from my sockets in my room. What do I do? We don't/can't get any sprays. We use hairspray and killed some of them, but more and more keep coming.wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerFind where there coming from and spray them with bug spray and make sure to wear boots.Thanks!
QuestionI have little tiny ants in my bathroom, but there is no food in there. What would get rid of this kind of ant? I also have some large ants.wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerJust spray a ton of bug spray where they're coming from. If a few of them are still there they're probably trying to leave because ants rely on each other.Thanks!
QuestionMy mother said that black ants bring peace and prosperity to the house. Should I still kill them?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerI would say no. If they're not crawling all over you or harming you in any way, then I would let them be.Thanks!
QuestionHow do I kill black ants that are in my carpet and on my furniture?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerYou can smash them all, or you can get ant traps that will collect them and kill them for you.Thanks!
Black ants crawl all over me even after showering. What can I do?
How do I kill black country ants?
If you want to kill black ants, put down ant bait or a sticky trap in the area where you have been seeing the ants. The ant bait is a poison that attracts the ants, which then carry the bait back to their nests. It’s very effective, but you should not use ant poison in an area where children or pets can reach it. Bait traps will catch the ants on a sticky surface, eliminating them as they move around your home. Traps are safer for pets and children, but they take longer to work.
- Use chalk, cinnamon, baby powder, black pepper, or cayenne pepper to keep ants at bay.
- Use a citrus-based repellent to rid your home or building of the scent trails that the black ants were following to help prevent additional infestations.
- Maintain an ant-free environment by removing their food source.
- Hire a professional if you don't feel comfortable with the process of killing the ants yourself. They may also be able to offer you additional follow-up advice based on your specific situation.
- Take precaution when using ant poisons. Do not let them come in contact with food, beverages or water sources.
- Store ant poison products in their original packaging for easy identification, and keep them out of reach of small children or pets.
Sources and Citations
Upload a picture for other readers to see.
In other languages:
Español: , Português: , Italiano: , Deutsch: , Français: , Русский: , 中文: , Bahasa Indonesia: , Nederlands:
Video: 7 Genius Ways to Get Rid of ANTS!
What Are Alpha-Hydroxy Acids How Do They Work
How to Permanently Erase Data Off a Hard Drive
Samantha Bee Explains Catholic Hospitals Seriously Outdated Views on Womens Reproductive Health
5 Ways to Improve Social Skills in Children With ADHD
Count Down To Christmas With The 2015 Whisky Advent Calendar
Top Picks from Ann Summers for a Naughty Christmas
The Surprising Reasons We Like Sad Movies
A headband with built-in headphones to help you comfortably fall asleep while listening to music
Just in: Your April 2019Horoscope
Every Time I Wear This Highlighter, I Get Tons Of Compliments